What is travertine?
Travertine tiles have long been a popular choice for Australian homeowners, commercial buildings, and architects and landscapers due to their timeless appeal, durability, and versatility. This natural stone, formed from the precipitation of calcium carbonate from hot springs, offers a unique combination of beauty and functionality, making it an ideal choice for both indoor and outdoor applications.
Pros of travertine tiles
Beautiful: Travertine tiles have a unique and elegant appearance. They come in a variety of colours, from light cream to deep brown, and they have a natural variation in texture that gives them a rustic and sophisticated look.
Durable: Travertine is a very hard and dense stone, making it very durable. It is resistant to scratches, chips, and stains, and it can withstand heavy foot traffic.
Affordable: Travertine is a relatively an affordable natural stone. It is more affordable than porcelain or ceramic tiles.
Versatile: Travertine tiles can be used in a variety of applications, including pool areas, patios, alfrescos, driveways and indoor areas too.
Non-slip: Travertine tiles have a naturally textured surface that makes them have a high non-slip rating, even when wet. This makes them a good choice for areas where safety is a concern, such as pool areas and any outdoor tiling areas.
Low maintenance: Travertine tiles are relatively low maintenance. They require occasional sealing to protect them from stains, but they are generally easy to clean and care for.
Cons of travertine tiles
Porousness: Travertine is a porous stone, which means that it can absorb liquids. This can make it susceptible to stains, especially if it is not clean straight away.
How to clean and care for travertine tiles
- Sweep or mop travertine tiles regularly to remove dirt and debris.
- Use a mild soap and water solution to clean travertine tiles.
- Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaners, as these can damage the stone.
- Seal travertine tiles every year or two to protect them from stains.
Overall, travertine tiles are a beautiful, durable, and affordable option for flooring and other applications. They are a good choice for homeowners who are looking for a natural stone that is both stylish and functional.
In addition to the pros listed above, travertine tiles are also:
- Environmentally friendly: Travertine is a natural stone that is quarried and processed in a sustainable manner.
- Timeless: Travertine has been used as a building material for centuries, and it is sure to remain in style for years to come.
- Easy to repair: Travertine tiles are relatively easy to repair if they are chipped or scratched.