RECOMMENDED INSTALLATION TECHNIQUES FOR BLUESTONE
Please use one of the following adhesives IF installing in the adhesive is preferred…..
If you prefer to install your pavers in traditional sand and cement style follow these instructions to the letter:
ARDEX | CONSTRUCTION CHEMICALS | BAYSET | MAPEI
– Select one of the adhesives above (ALL are rapid setting adhesives) and simply mix as per manufactures specifications then 10mm notch the adhesive onto the back of EVERY tile (ensuring 100% coverage).
– Let the adhesive set( the ones above set rapidly), usually around 3-4 hrs and then install the tiles as per your usual technique into the wet sand and cement mix. IF you don’t use a rapid setting adhesive you must allow a minimum of 12 hrs before laying into the wet mix of sand and cement.
– This system minimises the risk of any of the tiles warping slightly due to being moisture sensitive or being excessively hot at time of installation.
– IF installing in sand and cement we recommend adding F-LOC to the mixture, this will reduce the chance of any efflorescence (calcium hydroxide) migrating
to the surface of the grout or tile. Tech Specs www.efflock.com.au.This can be purchased from Bunnings
– GROUTING should ONLY occur IF the tiles have been completely dry for at least 4 days in a row.
– IT IS NOT acceptable to blow the water out of the joints and then grout as you WILL have effluence issues, possibly warping issues, picture framing due to trapped excessive moisture.
– You must of course follow the Australian Tiling Standards in regard to incorporating expansion joints into your tiling. Failure to do so WILL lead to drummy and lifting tiles.
Only recommended around BBQ areas or when the blue stone tiles are installed as internal floor tiles. Bluesetone pavers and tiles can be sealed with an invisible penetrating sealer to assist in the easy ongoing clean up of the stone pavers OR a colour enhancing penetrating sealer. These are also available at Stone & Slate Discounts.
Do not use Hydrochloric acid for clean up as this can cause minerals present in the stone to react adversely.Bluestone responds well to high pressure cleaning with a domestic machine, please keep the nozzle about 300mm minimum away from face of the bluestone pavers and tiles. Please ensure you use a blade not pin type head on the pressure cleaner, and ensure you pressure wash the ENTIRE paver.
Just sweep when needed. Bluestone responds well to high pressure cleaning with a domestic machine, please keep the nozzle about 300mm minimum away from face of the bluestone pavers and tiles. Please ensure you use a blade not pin type head on the pressure cleaner, and ensure you pressure wash the ENTIRE paver. A solution of mild detergent and water can be applied prior to pressure cleaning.
STANDARD GRADE BLUESTONE V PREMIUM GRADE BLUESTONE:
Here we will discuss the different characteristics of these two distinct bluestone categorizations.
Generally speaking, Standard Grade Bluestone will have the following characteristics:
- A higher percentage of tiles or pavers containing naturally occurring catspaw, between 30-50% of the surface of the tile.
- Cutting tolerances during the process of slicing the bluestone boulders up into tiles or pavers. In this case, a variation or tolerance allowance of +-3mm is to be expected. This leads to the occasional tile or paver being slightly out of square and is the reason why we recommend laying ONLY in a brick bond or stretcher bond pattern (which may fix these issues). If laying in adhesive, we recommend using a 6mm notch trowel to spread the adhesive BOTH on the slab and on the entire back of every tile or paver in a cross thatched pattern.
- In some rare instances where some Ferro particles may be in the catspaw, it should be noted that these can be hidden during the grouting process.
- The non-slip rating is HIGHER due to the sawn surface finish during the cutting process.
Premium Harkaway Bluestone comparison:
- Less naturally occurring catspaw, usually around 0-30% of any tile or pavers surface.
- Variation or tolerance allowance of +-1.5mm is to be expected.
- Naturally occurring light surface pattern and colour variations may be present compared to standard grade.
- Surface finish is lightly honed, giving a slightly smoother finish, however, is still classified as a non-slip surface
What are Harkaway Bluestone Pavers?
One cannot mention landscaping in Australia and leave out the Harkaway Bluestone Pavers. They are Australia’s most beloved and popular bluestone.
Any landscaping project in Australia tends to rely on the usage of the Harkaway Bluestone Pavers for their style and subtlety. They tend to camouflage into any setting and make it look way better than its previous state.
Origin and Popularity.
Harkaway Bluestone Pavers are named after the Australian bluestone quarry located in Harkaway, Victoria. The quarries that ran over there used to initially manufacture the Harkaway Bluestone Pavers for the base of road building. Harkaway Bluestone Pavers are proud to carry on this famous name, and you are assured of the best quality imported bluestone in Australia.
The original quarry for the Harkaway Bluestone Pavers has since then closed. The present Pavers however meet and even surpass the quality of the pavers produced before.
It is the most premium quality bluestone Pavers and is preferred by the majority of Australians for its outstanding durability. Now with the LATEST surface finish technology of JET BLASTING you have the number one non slip bluestone in Australia for all you outdoor paving needs.
Their varying shades and sleek finish also contribute to making them Australia’s most popular choice for outdoor settings.
Difference between quality
There is a lot of detail that goes into the Harkaway Bluestone tiles that are manufactured in Australia.
Unlike the cheaper quality and brittle tiles manufactured across South East Asia, the Harkaway Bluestone Pavers in Australia are carefully monitored for sturdiness. Each block of the paver is selected with great attention to quality and longevity.
The Pavers, free from any defect, take longer to produce and hence can be a little more costly than the cheap brittle one’s produced in mainland China. However, their durability makes them the smarter and better option for your home any day.
Usage and Benefits
Now you may be thinking about the exact places to use the Harkaway Bluestone Pavers for your home or office. Well, there are several different places where the Pavers can be used to lighten up and balance the ambience of your home or office.
● Pool: The Harkaway Bluestone Pavers are an excellent choice for pool coping. The tilers add a very neat and clean finish to the pool area. The shades of the Pavers also help the pool stand out and makes the setting very warm and inviting.
● Porch: If you’re bored of the same old wooden porch that every house seems to have, try the Pavers for your house. They add a little zing to the house and make it stand out amongst the rest. Their permanence ensures that they withstand all weather making them a better choice than wood.
● Backyard: perhaps one of the most creative and artistic ways to incorporate Harkaway Bluestone Pavers in your house is to use them in the backyard. They can be used as setting stones between grass to make the setting look very classy. They can also be used in the backyard to make a special place for seating and hosting barbeques.
● Garden: adding Harkaway Bluestone Pavers to the garden makes the garden very interesting. Its subtle shades make it rather easy to fit it perfectly in the garden amongst the flowers and the shrubs. It can be used as pavement or islands between the grass. Using it in the garden is sure to increase the visual appeal of the area.
Sellers and Cautions
There are some precautions to follow when it comes to buying the Harkaway Bluestone Pavers in Australia. Firstly, it is very important to be very sure about the certified sellers.
There are some certified sellers in each state and it is very necessary that you only buy from certified sellers in the various states. Buying from non-certified sellers or sellers that you’re unsure about can be disastrous.
This is because some sellers disguise cheap quality Pavers and brand them as Australian. They then charge the higher prices of the Australian Pavers at the quality of the inferior ones. This can result in monetary loss. Furthermore, this will lessen or harm your experience as a customer.
To enjoy the best quality Pavers, it is of great need that you do your research well on the certified buyers and invest only in the Harkaway Bluestone Pavers from those buyers. This ensures premium quality and you get to enjoy the durability and sturdiness that they are bound to bring.
Harkaway Bluestone Pavers are Australia’s number one choice for outdoor settings. Their variance of shades and resoluteness make them a perfect addition to different settings.
They can be used as pool coping or as flooring for the porch. They can even be used as stones in the backyard or they can be used as a platform for hosting barbeques. Adding them to the garden also is only bound to increase the visual appeal of the setting and it’s sure to add class to your house.
One thing of great significance is that you buy them from a certified seller since it ensures that there is no fraud and that you get to enjoy your Pavers just the way you should be.