12 Princes Highway Doveton, vic 3177
mon – fri: 7:30 am – 5:00 pm * sat: 9:00 am – 4:00 pm
Granite is a light-coloured plutonic rock found throughout the continental crust, most commonly in mountainous areas. It is widely used as granite pavers in Australia.
The name ‘granite’ is derived from the Latin word ‘granum’, which refers to a coarse grain. The name was given to the stone due to its coarse-grained structure.
It consists of coarse grains of quartz (10-50%), potassium feldspar, and sodium feldspar. These minerals make up more than 80% of the rock. The chemical composition of granite is typically 50-70% silica, 11-15% alumina, 3-5% potassium oxide, 3-5% soda, 2% lime, 1-3% total iron, and less than 1% magnesia and titania. Granites are the most abundant plutonic rocks of mountain belts and continental shield areas.
Granite is an intrusive igneous rock forms by slow crystallisation and cooling of large crystals from molten magma that flows and solidifies underground.
Granite has been used to build some of the most famous structures in the world. The natural stone has been utilised as a building material since the time of Ancient Egyptians. Some examples of structures built from granite include Mount Rushmore and the base of the Statue of Liberty.
Examples of natural granite can be found in many places, from New Hampshire to the Yosemite Valley. Granite quarries exist both in the Australia and locations worldwide, from Brazil to China and many other countries.
Check granite pavers prices here.
Granite is highly recommended as a paving material due to its high density, enormous strength, acid resistance and water absorption properties. These characteristics make granite a popular choice when paving hard surfaces specially for outdoor areas such as:
Granite Pool Pavers: Granite paving around the pool give immense strength to the pool and its surroundings.
Granite Pool Coping: Granite coping strengthen pools capacity to hold water around the edges.
Granite Stepping Stones: Can be used as walkways for garden pathways.
Granite Outdoor Pavers: Granite pavers are perfect to lay as outdoor pavers because it is heat-resistant and naturally strong to bear varying weather conditions.
Granite Pavers have many contrasting colours ranging between white, grey, black and pink to red. Feldspar dominated the granite colour composition and can be easily recognised by its appearance. There are also many different styles you can find granite in. From types of the stone that are solid in colour to ones with speckles and/or veining, there will surely be something that catches your eye. Some most popular colours of granite pavers that you can easily find across Australia are:
1. Black Granite Pavers
2. Grey Granite Pavers
3. White Granite Pavers
1. Surface treatment: Granites are kind of siliceous stones, which are always superior in various stone properties, incusing strength, porosity, viscosity and hardness. Therefore, granite stones are tough enough to receive various surface treatments.
2. Maintenance: Granite is one of the easiest natural stone surfaces to care for. The only true maintenance you will have to worry about is cleaning and re-sealing, both of which are very simple processes. Always remember to use cleaners suitable for use on granite and/or natural stone. With most types of granite, you will only need to re-seal about once every year.
3. Permeability: Granites are porous by nature but lesser than limestone or sandstones like other varieties. Although, it is permeable enough to pass the humidity, hot and cool air to keep stone weatherproof at some extents. If you use standard bedding of sands and aggregates as well as keep grouts filled with permeable sands, it can help more in making the surface permeable during wet days.
4. Sustainability: Granite is a durable natural stone with a long and reusable life. Recycling of granite not a new thing in the construction industry. It renders granite the most sustainable and environmental-friendly material. Most of the rock aggregates come from the locally sources quarries or recycled granite stones processing units.
5. Aesthetic: Granite is a natural stone and comes with natural beauty. It has grains, veins, colours, hues and patterns to augment when you are styling the paving areas in exterior as well as interior decoration. You have the freedom to create layouts of your choice to make your spaces aesthetically pleasant.
Contact the team at Stone & Slate Discounts if you’d like further advice or to purchase Granite natural stone costs.
Between the beauty, durability and multitude of other positive qualities granite has, it is not hard to see why so many homeowners choose the material to complete their remodeling projects. Despite being so popular, there are likely many things that you wouldn’t happen to know about this magnificent natural stone. This natural stone is more affordable than you might think. You should keep in mind that prices vary depending on where you live, the size of your project and the quality and finish you choose.